Through the power of the Holy Spirit and in response to God’s love as revealed in the Gospel, the mission of Lutheran Social Ministries of New Jersey is to serve those in New Jersey who hurt, who are in need, or who have limited choices.
LSMNJ team members are dedicated to providing healing, hope and hospitality, regardless of religious background through a diversified social ministry program addressing many critical human care needs.
We are seeking employees that share those same values and want to make a difference in the lives of those we serve.
Lutheran Crossings Enhanced Living, a senior care community located in desirable Moorestown (South Jersey), is currently seeking a Recreation Assistant. This position is part time -- 20-29 hours per week --, offering flexible scheduling, competitive pay, select benefits and paid time off!
General Responsibilities: Conducts activity groups including large, small and one to one in room visits, assists with assessments, care plans and activity calendars. Oversees Volunteers and Hospitality Aides.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Supports the mission and values of Lutheran Social Ministries of New Jersey, which is: Through the power of the Holy Spirit, and in response to God’s love as revealed in the Gospel, the mission of the Lutheran Social Ministries of New Jersey is to serve those in New Jersey who hurt, are in need, or have limited choices
- Participates in and plans groups, games, dances, parties, movies, shows, crafts, picnics and related recreational/therapeutic activities.
- Escorts residents to the areas in conformity with the approved activity schedule.
- Assists in measures taken for care, custody and safety of residents during individual and group activities.
- Assembles, dismantles and stores the equipment and supplies used in the recreational programs.
- Attends general staff meetings and mandated in-services.
- Provides activities to residents confined to their rooms that reflect lifelong interests. Charts all related documentation to the Community Life Department as required by applicable standards including assessments, status and episodic notes, calendars and activity attendance log.
- Supervises assigned Volunteers and Hospitality Aides involved with recreational activities coordinated with the Director of Community Life.
- Creates monthly calendar for unit display and resident use by the first day of the month. Calendars are to be hung up in each resident’s room and adapted accordingly. (Hung at eye level and enlarged when appropriate.)
- Assists with meal delivery and feeding of the residents during meal times and snack times.
- Conducts activities using the following guidelines:
Supplies are to be gathered in advance of the activity. Make sure you have enough supplies for each group member.
Consider environment. Involve as many senses as possible; this helps to make the activity therapeutic.
Prepare the room before you gather your group together. Set up; room according to the event. Crafts need tables; all other activities should encourage eye contact.
Gather together your group. Go from room to room and invite everyone. Aid those to the room as necessary.
Introduce yourself and welcome each person in your group.
Explain to the group what the activity will be and how it will be done.
Do activity as listed on the calendar. Make it starts on time.
Activity should last from 20 – 45 minutes depending on the activity.
Anticipate residents need. Have fluids available for exercise, props for discussion groups.
After activity thank each person for coming.
Log who came and if they activity participated or were passive observers and their responses to the activity.
Transports residents back and forth from activities both on the unit and off the unit.
12. Completes annual compliance and HIPAA training and exhibits behavior as set forth by the LSMNJ Code of Ethics and Business Integrity in the performance of duties.
13. Adheres to the Organization’s Policies and Procedures regarding the Compliance Program of the organization and is timely in reporting any possible concerns.
14. Follows all local, state and federal regulations as they pertain to the position.
15. Adheres to the Organization’s Policies and Procedures covering Privacy and Security in Compliance with HIPAA regulations.
16.Other duties as assigned by the supervisor, necessary for the efficient operation of the department/facility.
Education/Training/Certifications: High School Diploma/GED required.
Skill(s): Leadership skills, good interpersonal interactions
Experience: A minimum of one year’s working experience with the frail or elderly. Experience working in an activity department in a long-term care setting is preferred.
LSMNJ is an Equal Opportunity Employer.