LIFE Senior Care, a program designed to assist seniors with their customized healthcare needs, located in Jersey City Medical Center, is currently seeking a Full-Time Recreation Therapy Coordinator!
Through the power of the Holy Spirit and in response to God’s love as revealed in the Gospel, the mission of Lutheran Social Ministries of New Jersey is to serve those in New Jersey who hurt, who are in need, or who have limited choices.
LSMNJ team members are dedicated to providing healing, hope and hospitality, regardless of religious background through a diversified social ministry program addressing many critical human care needs.
We are seeking employees that share those same values and want to make a difference in the lives of those we serve.
This position is full-time offering competitive compensation, a robust benefit package and generous paid time off.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Recreational Therapy Coordinator performs tasks that include planning and implementing group and individual activities to improve or maintain the participants’ cognitive, physical, social, psychosocial and artistic needs.
- Supports the mission and values of Lutheran Social Ministries of New Jersey, which is: Through the power of the Holy Spirit, and in response to God’s love as revealed in the Gospel, the mission of the Lutheran Social Ministries of New Jersey is to serve those in New Jersey who hurt, are in need, or have limited choices.
- Conducts an in person initial comprehensive recreational assessment. Coordinates with the interdisciplinary team to develop a comprehensive care plan for each participant.
- Conducts an in person reassessment semiannually and as needed.
- Functions as a member of the interdisciplinary team. Maintains regular attendance at, and participates in, interdisciplinary team meetings; communicates participant changes, collaborates on care planning decisions and coordination for 24 hour care delivery.
- Plans and implements group and individual activities to improve or maintain the participants’ cognitive, physical, social, psychosocial and artistic needs.
- Plans and implements activities for dementia-specific population. Oversees daily flow of dementia activities area. Activities may focus on small groups, one-on-one programming and sensory stimulation.
- Organizes community outings and special events at the PACECenter.
- Develops a monthly calendar of activities.
- Evaluates program plans to promote effective programs according to client abilities and preferences within the PACECenter’s daily flow of events.
- Provides recreational educational and training to support Recreational Therapy Aides and other Center staff members as appropriate.
- Provides on-going support and training to all staff involved in dementia-specific programming related to the dementia disease process.
- Maintains participants’ medical record and fulfills Lutheran Senior Healthcare charting and reporting requirements.
- Provides leisure education to participants and caregivers for activity modification, use of adaptive equipment, activity skill development and recommended supplies for in-home use.
- Maintains general order in the activities area, including daily clean-up, routine supply inventory ordering, petty cash and overall general budgeting.
- Works cooperative with other staff and departments to meet Lutheran Senior Healthcare participants’ needs.
- Assists participants with non-skilled Activities of Daily Living (ADL) as needed.
- Acts only with the scope of his or her authority to practice.
- Protects privacy and maintains confidentiality of all company procedures, results and information about employees, participants and families.
- Participates in and supports Quality Improvement initiatives.
- Completes annual compliance and HIPAA training and exhibits behavior as set forth by the LSMNJ Code of Ethics and Business Integrity in the performance of duties.
- Adheres to the Organization’s Policies and Procedures regarding the Compliance Program of the organization and is timely in reporting any possible concerns.
- Follows all local, state and federal regulations as they pertain to the position.
- Adheres to the Organization’s Policies and Procedures covering Privacy and Security in Compliance with HIPAA regulations.
- Other duties as assigned by my supervisor, necessary for the efficient operation of the department/facility.
- Be certified as a Therapeutic Recreational Specialist or Certification as an activity director (ADC) by the National Certification Council for Activity Professionals.
- Working knowledge of recreational therapy techniques and practices of the elderly including assessment, care plan development, monitoring and evaluation needs.
- Working knowledge of physical, psychosocial and behavioral needs of the elderly population.
- Excellence oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated creative abilities to plan, develop and implement varied activities to meet diversified needs
- Ability and experience working with teams and volunteers
- Good working knowledge of dementia disease process
- Familiarity with illnesses common to frail older adult population
- Basic computer skills
- Mid- to strong back in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and to prepare clear and concise reports, correspondence and other written materials
- Experience in devising programs in art, music, games and crafts to improve self-confidence and self control and to relieve depression and anger for individual seniors and groups.
- Minimum of 2 years working with the frail or elderly
- 2 years experience in a social or recreational program providing and coordinating services for the frail or elderly within the last 5 years, one of which was full time in a patient activities program within a health care setting.
LSMNJ is an Equal Opportunity Employer.