LIFE Senior Care, a program designed to assist seniors with their customized healthcare needs, located in North Jersey is currently seeking Medical Director!
Through the power of the Holy Spirit and in response to God’s love as revealed in the Gospel, the mission of Lutheran Social Ministries of New Jersey is to serve those in New Jersey who hurt, who are in need, or who have limited choices.
LSMNJ team members are dedicated to providing healing, hope and hospitality, regardless of religious background through a diversified social ministry program addressing many critical human care needs.
We are seeking employees that share those same values and want to make a difference in the lives of those we serve.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Medical Director is responsible for the delivery of participant care, clinical outcomes, and in conjunction with the Quality Assurance Director the implementation and oversight of the Quality Assessment and Improvement program.
* Supports the mission and values of Lutheran Social Ministries of New Jersey, which is: Through the power of the Holy Spirit, and in response to God’s love as revealed in the Gospel, the mission of the Lutheran Social Ministries of New Jersey is to serve those in New Jersey who hurt, are in need, or have limited choices.
* Responsible for the delivery of participant care, clinical outcomes, and in conjunction with the Quality Assurance Director the implementation and oversight of the Quality Assessment and Improvement program.
* Provides direction and supervision to related primary care, nursing and allied health services.
* Provides leadership of the program among staff, colleagues and providers in the community.
* Provides some direct patient care as a member of the primary care team.
* Assumes overall accountability and responsibility for the medical care of the participants at the PACE Program. Oversees the medical service team to promote quality and outcome goals. Directs delivery of participant medical care.
* Provides leadership in quality assessment and performance improvement program:
* Member of the Quality Assurance Committee.
* Provides medical oversight in the development of standards and uniform treatment policies and procedures to assure they are inclusive of the knowledge and values which guide the PACE program
* Develop and maintain written objectives, polices and procedures manual, an organizational plan, and a quality assurance program for the medical service. All medical policies shall be reviewed at least annually
* Develops, implements, and monitors outcomes measurements to assure appropriateness and usefulness for the PACE program. Identifies key clinical processes in ongoing services and commission CQI projects as warranted
* Coordinates and integrates the medical services with other participant care services to provide a continuum of care for the participants
* Monitors and assures the appropriateness of utilization of medical services including:
* Hospital inpatient and ER utilization
* Specialist referrals
* Medication management
* Nursing facility utilization
? When problems are identified he/she researches best practices and works with clinical staff and interdisciplinary team to make appropriate procedural and or operational changes to avoid unnecessary hospitalizations and improve the health of participants
* In cooperation with the Executive Director provide supervision of primary care practitioners:
* Recruits and trains primary care physicians and geriatric nurse practitioners
* Assists in developing and maintains written job descriptions for the medical staff. Participants in the review of credentials and delineation of privileges of medical staff members, and assigning duties based upon education, training, competencies and job descriptions.
* Participates in periodic performance evaluations
* Consults with primary care staff to discuss clinical and case management issues
* Monitors the PACE clinic operations to assure integration of primary care and nursing services
* Oversees and ensures appropriate diagnostic coding practices of Primary Care Physicians.
* Participates in primary care, hospital and nursing home rounds, and the 24-hour on-call system to assure continuity of care for PACE participants.
* Ensures that medical staffing patterns are implemented
* Performs initial and annual competencies on Nurse Practitioners.
* Provides community liaison with physician groups, specialists, and hospitals to represent the PACE program and assure good provider relationships.
* In conjunction with the Executive Director participates in contract negotiations and monitoring with medical related providers.
* Provides leadership with Medical Staff, promoting the goals and needs of the PACE program and those it serves.
* Provides medical liaison with other medical departments and divisions of the system, communicating the values and unique aspects of PACE so that the interactions of PACE with other medical departments may be relevant to, and supportive of, the activities of both.
* Participates with the Executive management group in internal operations, program development and resource utilization.
* Participants in staff orientation and staff education activities.
* Participates in continuing education and training of all PACE staff.
* Participates in physician group within the PACE Association to assure facility representation and recognition.
* Identifies opportunities for clinical and health care delivery research which will enhance the geriatric leadership role of the PACE Program in clinical expertise and innovation.
* When acting as Primary Care Physician functions as a member of the interdisciplinary team. Maintains regular attendance at, and participants in interdisciplinary team meetings; communicates participant changes, collaborates on care planning decisions and coordination for 24 hour care delivery.
* When acting as Primary Care Physician evaluates and treats participants during acute illness. Oversees and manages participant’s use of medical specialist and inpatient care. Admits participant to the hospital: Provides primary care (attending) responsibilities for medical management; provides updates to Interdisciplinary team. In conjunction with the Interdisciplinary team plans and coordinates discharge.
* Approves the contents, location and frequency of checking contents, including expiration dates, of emergency kits or carts, equipment, and supplies, and assigning responsibility for these checks.
* Participates in planning and budgeting for the Medical Services
* Drives the Quality Assurance process and provides expert clinical program planning.
* Excellent integration provides improved flow of services and clinical outcomes.
* Valuable asset to Nursing Services and other patient oriented departments.
* Executive director seeks and has complete confidence in recommendations.
* Valuable member of committees. Provides insight and is well-respected.
1. Doctorate Degree (Includes PhDs): MD or DO
2. Board Certification - Internal Medicine or Family Practice
3. Board Certification - Geriatrics
4. Current New Jersey plenary physician license
5. Current BCLS
6. New Jersey CDS Certification and DEA Registration
7. Current driver’s license and proof of auto insurance
1. Current knowledge of chronic care/geriatric issues and best practices.
2. Skill to build strong working relationships with other physicians and other health care managers.
3. Good judgment, problem solving and cognitive skills
4. Ability to process information accurately and timely
5. Effective oral communication skills
6. Strong organizational skills.
7. Demonstrated leadership abilities
8. Ability to lead and work within an interdisciplinary setting.
9. Enthusiasm for geriatric medicine and issues in taking care of the chronically ill
10. Ability to anticipate and manage changing priorities per need of the program.
11. Legible handwriting
12. Skill and knowledge of how to work effectively in a managed care environment.
13. Working knowledge of PACE regulations
Minimum of 2 years working with the frail or elderly.
Employees must have medical clearance for communicable disease and up-to-date immunizations before having direct participant contact.
LSMNJ is an Equal Opportunity Employer.