Through the power of the Holy Spirit and in response to God’s love as revealed in the Gospel, the mission of Lutheran Social Ministries of New Jersey is to serve those in New Jersey who hurt, who are in need, or who have limited choices.
LSMNJ team members are dedicated to providing healing, hope and hospitality, regardless of religious background through a diversified social ministry program addressing many critical human care needs. We are seeking employees that share those same values and want to make a difference in the lives of those we serve.
LIFE Senior Care, a program designed to assist seniors with their customized healthcare needs, located in Jersey City Medical Center, is currently seeking a Medical Assistant. This full-time position offers competitive compensation, a robust benefit package and generous paid time off.
Reporting to the Director of Nursing, the Medical Assistant/ Clinic Clerk performs tasks that include scheduling external office and special in-house appointments based on doctors orders and coordinates with transportation department as needed and ensures that consultations are forwarded to medical records department for authorization.
Duties include the following:
- Supports the mission and values of Lutheran Social Ministries of New Jersey, which is: Through the power of the Holy Spirit, and in response to God’s love as revealed in the Gospel, the mission of the Lutheran Social Ministries of New Jersey is to serve those in New Jersey who hurt, are in need, or have limited choices.
- Schedules external office and special in-house appointments based on doctors orders and coordinates with transportation department as needed.
- Ensures that consultations are forwarded to medical records department for authorization.
- Ensures that appointment information is communicated to all necessary departments, participants and caregivers.
- Enters participant’s information into computer, entering diagnostic orders and test results per established procedures. Enters Data PACE information. Produce accurate written materials and records.
- Completes equipment log sheets as assigned.
- Obtains Lab specimens as ordered by MD.
- Follow order tracking procedure and protocol.
- Obtains admission data i.e. VS, BP pain level height and weight.
- Performs POC testing as assigned.
- Obtains EKG as ordered.
- Ensures lab specimens are ready for courier to pick up. Files results once primary care physician has reviewed results.
- Monitors the receipt of diagnostic test results and gives them to primary care physician to be signed.
- Assist in transcribing orders to the appropriate physician order sheet before being noted by the clinic nurses.
- Files clinic medical information into appropriate records and files as needed, including those from all departments. Maintains participant/caregiver confidentiality.
- Assist in the ordering and storage clinic supplies as requested.
- Assist in cleanliness and preparation of examination rooms for participants during clinic hours to ensure efficient running of the clinic.
- Ensures that the delivered supplies are per established procedures, working with department as needed. Monitors expiration dates.
- Faxes orders, request old medical records and compiles admission packets to be sent to nursing homes and assisted living facilities when medical records is not available.
- Faxes medication lists to pharmacy and performs any necessary follow-up procedures.
- Answers the telephone, screens calls, and takes messages. Greets and directs visitors. Uses effective communication skills, including a courteous telephone manner and skills, with all departments, co-workers, participants and caregivers, team members, outside professionals and equipment vendors.
- Follows all Lutheran Senior LIFE Policies and Procedures, OSHA safety guidelines.
- Maintains the confidentiality of all company procedures, results, and information about participants, clients or families.
- Utilize infection control and prevention principles and practices established by the organization including CDC guidelines in the provision of care and services.
- Maintains a courteous, helpful and professional attitude on the job. Displays a willingness and ability to be responsive in a warm and caring manner to all customer groups.
- Consistently cooperates and supports organization in problem solving issues. Ensures customer and supports the success of the entire healthcare team.
- Treats employees, patients, and business partners with respect. Fosters teamwork by trusting and supporting each other while encouraging collaboration at all levels of the organization. Embraces diversity and demonstrates the ability to work together.
- Promotes a safe and efficient working environment by adhering to agency policies and procedures.
- Maintains confidentiality of all agency and patient related information. Protects patient rights as defined in the patient Bill of Rights.
- Maintains proper attendance and punctuality to ensure that the department is operated in an efficient and cost effective manner.
- Adheres to departmental and agency dress code outlined in the organization’s policy.
- Maintains safe working environment. Follows Lutheran Senior LIFE Safety Policies and Procedures.
- Participates in continuing education classes and any required staff and training meetings.
- Performs any necessary filing or clerical duties necessary to complete charting requirements.
- Completes annual compliance and HIPAA training and exhibits behavior as set forth by the LSMNJ Code of Ethics and Business Integrity in the performance of duties.
- Adheres to the Organization’s Policies and Procedures regarding the Compliance Program of the organization and is timely in reporting any possible concerns.
- Follows all local, state and federal regulations as they pertain to the position.
- Adheres to the Organization’s Policies and Procedures covering Privacy and Security in Compliance with HIPAA regulations.
- Other duties as assigned by my supervisor, necessary for the efficient operation of the department/facility.