Through the power of the Holy Spirit and in response to God’s love as revealed in the Gospel, the mission of Lutheran Social Ministries of New Jersey is to serve those in New Jersey who hurt, who are in need, or who have limited choices.
LSMNJ team members are dedicated to providing healing, hope and hospitality, regardless of religious background through a diversified social ministry program addressing many critical human care needs. We are seeking employees that share those same values and want to make a difference in the lives of those we serve.
LIFE Senior Care, a program designed to assist seniors with their customized healthcare needs, located in Jersey City Medical Center, is currently seeking a full-time Driver. The incumbent is responsible for Lutheran Senior Healthcare passengers during transport, providing care in a manner which ensures participant satisfaction and follows assigned schedule, makes adjustments to meet unanticipated changes, while considering the needs of the participant and requirements of the PACE Center.
Duties include the following:
- Supports the mission and values of Lutheran Social Ministries of New Jersey, which is: Through the power of the Holy Spirit, and in response to God’s love as revealed in the Gospel, the mission of the Lutheran Social Ministries of New Jersey is to serve those in New Jersey who hurt, are in need, or have limited choices.
- Responsible for Lutheran Senior Healthcare passengers during transport, providing care in a manner which ensures participant satisfaction.
- Follows assigned schedule, makes adjustments to meet unanticipated changes, while considering the needs of the participant and requirements of the PACE Center. Communicates these changes to dispatch.
- Operates equipment safely and in compliance with vehicle licensing regulations.
- Maintains and completes daily required records, i.e. Pre and Post Trip Inspections, gasoline purchases.
- Immediately reports to Transportation Coordinator any vehicle or cell phone operating problems, malfunction, or incidents out of the ordinary routine.
- Transports participants to and from medical/specialist appointments and activity outings as requested by the interdisciplinary team via the plan of care.
- Transports meals, durable medical equipment, pharmacy, and any other items as deemed necessary for participant.
- Provides physical assistance to each participant when needed as s/he boards and debarks from the program’s vehicles.
- Maintains the vehicle in a neat and clean condition.
- Ensures vehicle equipment is maintained and operating within manufacturer’s recommendations, replacing supplies as needed.
- Functions as a member of the interdisciplinary team when appropriate.
- Communicates with Transportation Coordinator daily to be updated on participant conditions/changes, plan of care changes, or interdisciplinary team requests.
- Follows Lutheran Senior Healthcare Policies and Procedures and OSHA safety guidelines.
- Maintains the confidentiality of all company procedures, results, and information about participants, clients or families.
- Handles potentially infectious fluids (e.g. blood, urine, emesis) with appropriate biohazard precautions and practices Universal Precautions.
- Participates in and supports Quality Improvement initiatives.
- Participates in continuing education classes and any required staff and training meetings. Maintains any required certifications or licenses.
- Completes annual compliance and HIPAA training and exhibits behavior as set forth by the LSMNJ Code of Ethics and Business Integrity in the performance of duties.
- Adheres to the Organization’s Policies and Procedures regarding the Compliance Program of the organization and is timely in reporting any possible concerns.
- Follows all local, state and federal regulations as they pertain to the position.
- Adheres to the Organization’s Policies and Procedures covering Privacy and Security in Compliance with HIPAA regulations.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor, necessary for the efficient operation of the department/facility.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Experience with assisting the elderly or frail.
- CDL C license with passenger endorsement.
- Current MAVT and/or CPR certifications (preferred).
- Safe driving record.
- Able to read and understand maps and routing information to navigate within the HudsonCounty area
- Able to handle information in a confidential manner at all times.
- Able to deal professionally and diplomatically with people. Must have good interpersonal skills
- Experienced in transporting individuals with special mobility needs.
- Must be flexible and able to function in stressful situations
- Knowledge of safety requirements pertaining to the transportation industry.
- Requires individual who can coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously
- Skilled in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with participants, caregivers and co-workers
- Proficient in identifying and recommending problem resolution.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Experience working with transportation software scheduling program
- Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range, with or without reasonable accommodation