Through the power of the Holy Spirit and in response to God’s love as revealed in the Gospel, the mission of Lutheran Social Ministries of New Jersey is to serve those in New Jersey who hurt, who are in need, or who have limited choices.
LSMNJ team members are dedicated to providing healing, hope and hospitality, regardless of religious background through a diversified social ministry program addressing many critical human care needs. We are seeking employees that share those same values and want to make a difference in the lives of those we serve.
Crane's Mill, a premiere continuing retirement community located in desirable West Caldwell, is currently seeking a full-time Maintenance Technician. The primary function of this position is to perform the duties to keep the structure of the facility in good repair. These duties include the repair and maintenance of HVAC equipment, machinery and medical equipment with diagrams, schedules, operation manuals and manufacturer’s specifications using power tools, precision measuring and testing equipment. Every effort has been made to make this job description as complete as possible, however it is in no way states or complies that these are the only duties you will be required to perform. The omission of a specific statement of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or is a logical assignment to the position as directed by the Facility Services Administrator and or the Executive Director.
- Supports the mission and values of Lutheran Social Ministries of New Jersey, which is: Through the power of the Holy Spirit, and in response to God’s love as revealed in the Gospel, the mission of the Lutheran Social Ministries of New Jersey is to serve those in New Jersey who hurt, are in need, or have limited choices.
- Appropriately repairs and maintains the heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems throughout the campus.
- Appropriately conducts preventative maintenance on the heating ventilation and air conditioning systems throughout the campus as per the manufacture’s specifications.
- Appropriately installs new heating, ventilation and air conditioning units throughout the campus as directed.
- Demonstrates the ability to maintain, diagnose, repair and/or replace the heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems throughout the campus.
- Demonstrates the ability to analyze complex functions, procedures and problems to find creative, logical and effective solutions.
- Demonstrates the ability to understand and follow blueprints, drawings, schematics and any other documentation provided by the manufacturer and Crane’s Mill.
- Maintains an adequate inventory of HVAC supplies using the purchase order system. Provides pick-up slips and purchase orders to supervisor for billing.
- Prioritizes assignments based on the urgency of the repairs (i.e. living units) before common areas unless otherwise instructed.
- Demonstrates the ability to troubleshoot and repair electrical and plumbing problems as allowed by law.
- Demonstrates the ability to complete work orders as assigned in a timely manner. Turns in the completed work orders immediately as directed so the work orders can be closed out in the computerized maintenance program.
- Reports any malfunctions/concerns regarding the HVAC system, physical plant and buildings to your supervisor.
- Demonstrates the ability to work with all types of power and hand tools safely and effectively along with using diagnostic tools with the understanding of the test procedures
- Participates in the on-call weekend rotation
- Tests and logs the hot water in the Health Center to maintain a temperature between 95 and 110 degrees as per DOH standards and reports any variation.
- Tests and logs the wander guard protected doors in the Health Center and reports any failures.
- Tests and logs the swimming pool and spa for chemical consistency as per DOH standards and reports any variation. Makes sure the pool room is clean and no hazardous conditions exist. Vacuums the swimming pool and spa if needed.
- Performs minor maintenance functions as assigned.
- Replaces burnt out light bulbs in living units, common areas and attics.
- Performs outside maintenance in the buildings or on the grounds including snow removal.
- Replaces any acoustical ceiling tiles that were damaged due to HVAC malfunction and/or repair.
- Practices Universal Precautions which practice the proper use of hand washing along with the handling and disposal of all infected materials, equipment and linens.
- Responds to internal and external calls and pages to assure a quick response to any emergency or non-emergency situation.
- Responds to after hours and on-call calls immediately.
- Appropriately interacts with residents, family members, responsible parties, friends of residents or family, licensed health care professionals, non-licensed health care professionals, visitors, vendors and Federal, State and Local regulatory agencies in a professional and courteous manner.
- Reports changes in a resident’s behavior/manner and overall well being to their supervisor and or the appropriate staff member.
- Reports all incidents/accidents no matter how minor ensuring a safe, clean and orderly environment.
- Ensures that the work assigned areas are clean and the equipment, tools supplies and maintenance shop are properly stored before leaving on a break or at the end of the workday. This includes making sure all non-essential items are turned off.
- Assures that all employees, residents and visitors follow-established policies and procedures.
- Participates in helping set up for campus activities as directed, such as winter holiday lighting/decorations and or for some type of party.
- Observes surroundings and corrects issues noticed (without work order).
- Completes annual compliance and HIPAA training and exhibits behavior as set forth by the LSMNJ Code of Ethics and Business Integrity in the performance of duties.
- Adheres to the Organization’s Policies and Procedures regarding the Compliance Program of the organization and is timely in reporting any possible concerns.
- Follows all local, state and federal regulations as they pertain to the position.
- Adheres to the Organization’s Policies and Procedures covering Privacy and Security in Compliance with HIPAA regulations.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor, necessary for the efficient operation of the department/facility.